- Title: Moment: After relative calm, volcano shoots up huge cloud of smoke
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 27, 2021) (REUTERS) SPED UP VIDEO OF VOLCANO SHOOTING UP HUGE CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE AFTER BEING RELATIVELY CALM ON MONDAY MORNING VOLCANO SHOOTING UP HUGE CLOUD OF BLACK SMOKE
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 11:45
- Keywords: La Palma Spain eruption smoke volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWHXMBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cumbre Vieja volcano was seen on Monday (September 27) shooting up a big cloud of black smoke after a relatively calm morning.
The reactivation of the volcano took place at around 11:00 local time (10:00 GMT).
Experts said the black colour was due to floating ashes being ejected by the volcano.
The Canary Islands Volcanology Institute confirmed the emission of lava via Twitter.
A Reuters witness said the volcano had stopped spewing smoke and the mountain was relatively quiet before the big cloud erupted bringing back explosive sounds.
Authorities are preparing coastal areas where the superheated lava flow is expected to hit the Atlantic Ocean, likely triggering clouds of toxic gas and explosions.
Since the volcano started erupting on September 19, the flow of black lava has engulfed more than 230 hectares, the European Union satellite monitoring service Copernicus said, swallowing hundreds of houses as well as roads, schools, churches and banana plantations and forcing thousands to evacuate.
No fatalities or serious injuries have been reported since the volcano's eruption, but about 15% of the island's banana crop could be at risk, jeopardizing thousands of jobs.
La Palma, with a population of over 83,000, is one of an archipelago making up the Canary Islands
(Production: Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None