- Title: Turtle dawdles onto Japan runway, holds up five flights
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: NARITA, JAPAN (FILE - JULY 15, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF NARITA AIRPORT TERMINAL 1
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 11:34
- Keywords: Japan Narita Airport air traffic delay flight runway turtle
- Location: NARITA, JAPAN
- City: NARITA, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA003EWMTLJB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: TRANSLATION FROM SOURCE FOR SHOT 5
A turtle found on a runway at Japan's Narita airport last Friday (September 24) disrupted airport traffic, causing flights to delay.
The turtle was spotted by a pilot, which subsequently caused five flights to be delayed for up to 15 minutes, according to Japanese media reports.
It was then safely captured by airport staff with a net, and measured to be about 30 centimetres long and weighed about two kilograms.
It is unclear how the turtle ended up at the airport but Japanese media reported it may have come from a nearby reservoir.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None