- Title: Spain declares volcano hit La Palma a disaster zone
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) THICK CLOUD OF SMOKE BILLOWING FROM CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO VARIOUS OF BUILDINGS BURNING AND SMOKE BILLOWING FROM BURNED AREAS
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 13:33
- Keywords: La Palma Spain Spanish government cabinet meeting disaster zone eruption volcano
- Location: LA PALMA & MADRID, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA & MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMX7WN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spain's government classified the island of La Palma, which has been struck by a volcanic eruption, as a disaster zone on Tuesday (September 28), a move that will trigger emergency subsidies and other support measures.
The government announced a first package of 10.5 million euros ($12.30 million), which includes around 5 million euros to buy houses, with the rest to acquire furniture and essential household goods, government spokesperson Isabel Rodriguez told reporters on Tuesday.
Lava has been slowly flowing down the volcano's western flank toward the sea since Sept 19, destroying almost 600 houses as well as churches and banana plantations in La Palma, which neighbours Tenerife in the Canary Islands archipelago off North Africa.
Hundreds of people in coastal villages remain hunkered down in anticipation of lava emitted in previous days reaching the sea and releasing toxic gas.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Michael Gore, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None