- Title: La Palma volcano spews red hot lava overnight
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO SPEWING RED HOT LAVA AT NIGHT LAVA STREAM SEEN AT NIGHT VARIOUS OF CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO SPEWING RED HOT LAVA AT NIGHT VIEW OF THE VOLCANO IN THE BACKGROUND AND BLACK LAVA ACROSS TOWN VARIOUS OF VOLCANO SPEWING LAVA AT DAWN HOUSE CLOSE TO THE VOLCANO SPEWING LAVA LAVA STREAM FLOWING ACROSS TOWN
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 09:20
- Keywords: La Palma volcano erupting lava stream red hot lava volcano at night
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMX5JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A volcano on Spain's La Palma island was seen ejecting lava overnight on Tuesday (September 28) while hundreds of people in coastal villages hunkered down in anticipation of lava emitted in previous days reaching the sea and releasing toxic gas.
The stream of smoking black lava that crossed through Todoque town on Sunday (September 26) destroying houses and the local church was still smoking early on Tuesday.
After a period of several hours without explosions on Monday, the volcano begun to spurt lava and ashes again in the afternoon.
Authorities said they could not be sure when the lava stream, which is currently less than a kilometre away from the coast, might reach the sea.
No fatalities or serious injuries have been reported, but about 15% of the island's banana crop could be at risk, jeopardizing thousands of jobs.
(Production: Miguel Pereira, Nacho Doce, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None