- Title: Lava flows from La Palma volcano as dawn breaks on 9th day of eruption
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ERUPTING VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 08:56
- Keywords: La Palma Spain lava smoke volcanic eruption volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWMV6FB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The Cumbre Vieja volcano in Spain's La Palma island spurted lava and emitted smoke on Tuesday (September 28) morning, while hundreds of people in coastal villages hunkered down in anticipation of lava emitted in previous days reaching the sea and releasing toxic gas.
Since Sept. 19, lava has been slowly flowing down the volcano's western flank toward the sea, destroying more than 500 houses as well as churches and banana plantations, according to the European Union's Copernicus disaster monitoring programme.
After a period of several hours without explosions on Monday (September 27), the volcano begun to spurt lava and ashes again in the afternoon.
Authorities said they could not be sure when the lava stream, which is currently less than a kilometre away from the coast, might reach the sea.
(Production: Amy Pollock)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None