- Title: Drone video captures lava from La Palma volcano crashing into ocean
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF LAVA FROM THE CUMBRE VIEJA VOLCANO FLOWING INTO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 19:30
- Keywords: Atlantic Ocean Canary Islands Cumbre Vieja La Palma Spain eruption lava volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRX2YV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Drone video shows lava from Spain's Cumbre Vieja volcano crashing into the sea, sending up plumes of white steam on Wednesday (September 29).
Despite fears of toxic gases, authorities said the air inland remained fine to breathe.
Lava from the volcano that began erupting 10 days ago reached the ocean just before midnight on Tuesday (September 28) near the town of Tazacorte and began accumulating at the foot of a cliff until a cone of debris appeared above the waterline.
Thousands have been evacuated from their homes since the volcano erupted on September 19 and lava has engulfed nearly 530 houses and several banana plantations.
Spain has classified the island of La Palma a disaster zone in a move that will provide financial support for the island.
(Production: Natasa Bansagi)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None