- Title: German FDP prefers coalition government with Laschet's CDU, not Scholz's SPD
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FREE DEMOCRATS (FDP) PARTY GENERAL SECRETARY VOLKER WISSING ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) FREE DEMOCRATS (FDP) GENERAL SECRETARY, VOLKER WISSING, SAYING (REPORTER ASKING WHETHER FDP STILL PREFERS 'JAMAICA' COALITION OF CONSERVATIVES, GREENS AND FDP): "Our preference was based on content and since the parties' content has not changed, the preference of course remains the same." WISSING SPEAKING ON PODIUM (SOUNDBITE) (German) FREE DEMOCRATS (FDP) GENERAL SECRETARY, VOLKER WISSING, SAYING: "Of course we need to discuss content issues. However, in-depth discussions can only happen during coalition negotiations and in which constellation that will happen, I can't yet say today. It's too early. Otherwise we wouldn't schedule these opening talks for this coming weekend, if we were able to anticipate the result today already." WISSING SPEAKING ON STAGE, SEEN THROUGH PLASTIC PROTECTIVE SHIELD (SOUNDBITE) (German) FREE DEMOCRATS (FDP) GENERAL SECRETARY, VOLKER WISSING, SAYING: "The conservatives have invited the Free Democrats for discussions. Today, the Free Democrats accepted the offer. Our offer is to hold the discussions this coming Saturday. The conservatives are still checking. As publicly announced already, the Social Democrats (SPD) have also offered us discussions. We of course also accepted their offer. We have agreed to hold a bilateral exchange this coming Sunday. Following these discussions, we will inform our party committees and then deliberate on further moves."
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 14:09
- Keywords: Free Democrats FDP General Secretary Volker Wissing German coalition negotiations
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRTQ2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany's pro-business Free Democrats (FDP) favour a coalition government with Armin Laschet's CDU over the SPD of Olaf Scholz and they plan further talks with the Greens before meeting the CDU and the SPD at the weekend about building a three-way coalition, the FDP's secretary general said on Wednesday (September 29).
Volker Wissing's comments came after a smiling selfie of FDP and Green leaders together at an initial meeting went viral and became the subject of jokes.
The Greens and FDP, from opposite ends of the political spectrum and at odds on a range of major issues from finance to climate protection, are seen as kingmakers after an election on Sunday that was narrowly won by the Social Democrats (SPD).
Both the centre-left SPD and Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc, which slumped to a record low result, would need the centre-right FDP and leftist Greens as partners to get a parliamentary majority for a coalition government.
FDP Secretary General Wissing said he could reveal nothing about the talks late on Tuesday as the small circle had agreed to stay mum, but that a bigger group of people from both parties would meet again on Friday.
(Production: Oliver Ellrodt, Stefan Remter, Michele Sani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None