- Title: Timelapse: Lava from La Palma volcano hits the sea
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) VARIOUS OF TIMELAPSE OF LAVA FROM VOLCANO REACHING OCEAN AND SMOKE RISING LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) (MUTE) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF TIMELAPSE OF LAVA FROM VOLCANO REACHING OCEAN AND SMOKE RISING
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 09:46
- Keywords: La Palma Spain lava timelapse volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRWK07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Timelapse footage showed on Wednesday (September 29) lava from Spain's La Palma volcano reaching the Atlantic ocean.
Incandescent lava gushing from the volcano for 10 days poured down a cliff into the sea in the Playa Nueva area near the town of Tazacorte shortly after 23:00 local time (22:00 GMT).
As day broke, red hot lava protruded above the Atlantic Ocean waterline, sending clouds of steam and toxic gases into the sky.
Smoke clouds billowed from the volcano and the molten rock as it flowed down Cumbre Vieja's western flank.
People in a 2-km radius were evacuated and the wider area was put in lockdown, Tazacorte Mayor Juan Miguel Rodriguez Acosta told TV3 channel, adding that no further evacuations had been needed so far as the cloud was moving east.
He said all roads to the southern part of the islands had been cut off by the lava.
The Canary Islands' emergency service urged those outdoors less than 3.5 km from the stricken area to immediately find a safe place to shelter.
No injuries have been reported.
The emergency services also told people to protect their mouths and noses with a wet cloth.
Since the eruption began on Sept. 19, lava has engulfed almost 600 houses as well as banana plantations in La Palma, which neighbors Tenerife in the Canary Islands off the North African coast.
Thousands of people have been evacuated and three coastal villages were locked down on Monday in anticipation of the lava reaching the sea.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Marco Trujillo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None