- Title: Japan's ruling party lawmakers start voting for new leader and next PM
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: VARIOUS OF FORMER JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, SHINZO ABE, VOTING BALLOT BOX LDP LAWMAKERS AT POLLING BOOTHS JAPANESE FINANCE MINISTER, TARO ASO, CASTING VOTE LDP LAWMAKER, SHIGERU ISHIBA, CASTING VOTE AND BOWING LAWMAKERS AT POLLING BOOTHS LDP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, FUMIO KISHIDA, CASTING VOTE AND BOWING LDP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, TARO KONO, CASTING VOTE AND BOWING JAPANESE PRIME MINISTER, YOSHIHIDE SUGA, CASTING VOTE AND BOWING LDP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, SANAE TAKAICHI, WALKING AND BOWING TO LAWMAKERS TAKAICHI CASTING VOTE AND BOWING LAWMAKERS SEATED LDP SECRETARY-GENERAL, TOSHIHIRO NIKAI, CASTING VOTE LDP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE, SEIKO NODA, CASTING VOTE AND BOWING ELECTION IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 06:17
- Keywords: Japan LDP Liberal Democratic Party Tokyo election lawmakers leader voting
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA003EWRT2DJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lawmakers in Japan's ruling party began voting for a new leader and likely next prime minister on Wednesday (September 29) ahead of a general election due in weeks and with the economy staggering from the COVID-19 pandemic.
No candidate won a majority in the first round of the leadership vote, which triggered a run-off.
The results of the second round of voting are expected around 3:40 p.m. (0640 GMT).
With masks on, the LDP's parliamentary members had gathered in the ballroom of a Tokyo hotel to cast their votes from 1:00 p.m. (0400GMT) Their ballot box was closed about 30 minutes after they voted in lines.
The four candidates on the ballot are popular vaccine minister Taro Kono, 58, a U.S.-educated former defence and foreign minister seen as a maverick; ex-foreign minister Fumio Kishida, 64, a consensus-builder saddled with a bland image; former internal affairs minister Sanae Takaichi, 60, an ultra-conservative; and Seiko Noda, 61, from the party's dwindling liberal wing.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None