- Title: China's power crunch leaves Shenyang residents concerned
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: SHENYANG, LIAONING PROVINCE, CHINA (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ELECTRICITY PYLONS AND POWER LINES PEOPLE AND TRAFFIC AROUND COMMERCIAL STREET CHILD WALKING WITH BALLOON (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) DELIVERY DRIVER, FENG XUEDONG, SAYING: "It was completely dark. I can see nothing because the power is cut from everything. Only when vehicles drove past could you see lights on. I ride an electric scooter and the light of scooter is on. Everything else is dark." JOURNALIST ASKING (Mandarin): "WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE POWER WAS CUT?" "Where I was when the power was cut? I was working here." JOURNALIST ASKING (Mandarin): "HOW LONG WAS THE POWER CUT?" "From 4 p.m. till around 12 midnight." CONVENIENCE STORE WORKER AND CUSTOMER IN STORE MOBILE CHARGING STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CONVENIENCE STORE WORKER, JIAO YUANYUAN, SAYING: "The subway was still in operation. Water and electricity were all cut. Many people came to buy candles and borrow portable chargers to charge." VARIOUS OF CHIMNEY WITH SMOKE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) DELIVERY DRIVER, FENG XUEDONG, SAYING: "I also live on a high floor. It also leads problems for deliveries. You have to climb upstairs if people live on high floors. When power was cut, you have to climb 10 floors or more than 20 floors. Some young people are not willing to come downstairs. If they order a delivery, we have to deliver it to them." VARIOUS OF TRUCK CARRYING COAL ENTRANCE TO SHENXI THERMAL POWER PLANT OF CHINA ENERGY LIAONING ELECTRIC POWER CO., LTD. TRUCK CARRYING COAL DRIVING VARIOUS OF CHIMNEY WITH SMOKE POWER LINES IN FRONT OF CHIMNEY VARIOUS OF THERMAL POWER PLANT
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 10:30
- Keywords: China Liaoning Shenyang coal shortage electricity power crunch power plants
- Location: SHENYANG, CHINA
- City: SHENYANG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRTE87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Residents of Shenyang described their concerns on Wednesday (September 29) after power cuts affected residential compounds, traffic lights, and factories in China's northern Liaoning province.
A power cut lasting around eight hours had hit a residential compound in Hunnan district the previous week and left streets in complete darkness, said delivery driver Feng Xuedong. "It also leads problems for deliveries ... when power was cut, you have to climb 10 floors or more than 20 floors."
A saleswoman in a convenience store near the residential compound added that water and electricity were also cut, leading to many people buying candles and borrowing portable chargers.
China is in the grip of a power crunch as coal supply shortages combined with strong power demand from manufacturers, industry and households push coal prices to record highs and trigger widespread curbs on usage.
On Wednesday, China also demanded railway companies and local authorities raise their game in shipping vital coal supplies to utilities, as regions key to the world's number two economy grapple with power cuts that have crippled industrial output.
(Production: Xihao Jiang)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None