- Title: Lava pours into sea from La Palma volcano
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) LAVA FLOW POURING INTO SEA, SMOKE, AND GASES RISING LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE INTO SEA LAVA FLOW POURING INTO SEA, SMOKE, AND GASES RISING
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 13:48
- Keywords: Canary Islands Cumbre Vieja La Palma volcano Spain lava smoke volcanic eruptions
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWRWY87
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A river of lava reached the Atlantic Ocean from Spain's La Palma island on Wednesday (September 29), releasing plumes of steam which could unleash toxic gas, although so far authorities said the air inland had not been contaminated.
Smoke clouds billowed from the volcano and the molten rock as it flowed down Cumbre Vieja's western flank.
Incandescent lava gushing from the volcano poured down a cliff into the sea early on Wednesday in the Playa Nueva area near the town of Tazacorte and could be seen protruding above the Atlantic Ocean waterline, sending clouds of steam into the sky.
Residents on the western coast had been told to seal doors and windows with tape and wet towels. That recommendation was not yet lifted, but authorities said measurements showed the air was so far still safe to breathe.
(Production: Miguel Pereira, Miguel Pereira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None