- Title: La Palma volcano roars as lava pours into sea, spewing toxic gases
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) COASTAL VIEW WITH CLOUDS OF SMOKE RISING OVER VOLCANO AND CLOUDS OF STEAM AND GASES OVER SEA AS LAVA POURS INTO OCEAN VARIOUS OF STEAM AND SMOKE RISING OVER COASTAL AREA VIEW OF WHITE SMOKE OVER VOLCANO CLIFF AND SEA
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 12:12
- Keywords: La Palma Spain eruption gas lava ocean smoke steam toxic volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA002EWRWGUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Red hot lava gushing from the Cumbre Viejo volcano in Spain's La Palma poured down a cliff into the sea on Wednesday (September 29), creating plumes of smoke, steam, and toxic gases.
Authorities in Spain's Canary Islands told residents on the western coast of La Palma to seal doors and windows with tape and wet towels to ward off the toxic gases.
The lava reached the sea in the Playa Nueva area near the town of Tazacorte.
The town's mayor Juan Miguel Rodriguez Acosta told media that all roads to the southern part of the islands had been cut off by the lava and that all residents in a 2-km radius had been evacuated.
No injuries have been reported.
(Production: Miguel Pereira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None