- Title: Lengthy queues build outside London gas stations again
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) VEHICLES QUEUING TO ENTER FUEL STATION CARS AND VANS REFUELLING, LINE OF CARS WAITING TO REFUEL TRUCK IN QUEUE FOR FUEL STATION DRIVING TOWARDS PUMPS
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 08:34
- Keywords: HGV drivers UK fuel crisis petrol truckers
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: UK
- Topics: Commodities Markets,Europe,Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRV8LJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lengthy queues formed outside gas stations across London again on Wednesday (September 29) as the strain on fuel supplies continued despite Prime Minister Boris Johnson saying the situation was improving.
Reuters video showed long lines of cars and vans waiting to refuel at gas stations in London along with warnings on some pumps that no fuel was available.
Britain has been gripped by a rush of panic-buying for almost a week that has left pumps dry across major cities after oil companies warned they did not have enough truck drivers to move petrol and diesel from refineries to filling stations.
Johnson has sought to quell public concerns, saying supplies were returning to normal while also urging people not to panic buy. But in many regions, hundreds of forecourts remained closed and motorists were still snarled in queues waiting to fill their tanks.
The government has put 150 British army tanker drivers on standby, and media reports suggested they could be deployed in the next few days.
Industry groups said the worst of the fuel shortages seemed to be in London, the southeast, and other English cities.
The shortages have added to an air of chaos in the world's fifth-largest economy after a dearth of truck drivers throughout the economy left gaps on supermarket shelves, with one London supermarket on Tuesday (September 28) advertising driver vacancies in its entrance foyer.
(Production: Guy Faulconbridge, Yann Tessier, Amy Pollock)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None