- Title: Nine days after eruption, lava from La Palma volcano reaches ocean
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (SEPTEMBER 28, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) FIRST LAVA ROCKS FALLING FROM CLIFF INTO THE OCEAN VARIOUS OF CLOUD OF SMOKE BILLOWING AS LAVA STREAM FALLS FROM CLIFF INTO SEA SMOKE AND SPARKS AS LAVA STREAM FALLS VARIOUS OF LAVA STREAM FALLING FROM CLIFF INTO OCEAN RELEASING CLOUD OF SMOKE VARIOUS OF SPARKS AND CLOUDS OF SMOKE AS LAVA STREAM REACHES SEA
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 00:06
- Keywords: Cumbre Vieja volcano La Palma Spain lava stream sea volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWMXWEF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Red hot lava from a volcano that devastated the Spanish island of La Palma reached the Atlantic Ocean late on Tuesday (September 28) evening, nine days after it started to flow down the mountains, wrecking buildings and destroying crops.
Reuters images showed clouds of white steam billowing up from the Playa Nueva area. Officials had warned of possible explosions and clouds of toxic gases when the lava reaches the sea.
"When the lava reaches the sea, the lockdown must be strictly observed," Miguel Angel Morcuende, director of the Pevolca response committee, said earlier on Tuesday.
Lava has been flowing down the volcano's western flank toward the sea since Sept. 19, destroying almost 600 houses and banana plantations in La Palma, which neighbors Tenerife in the Canary Islands archipelago off the North African coast.
Thousands have been evacuated and three coastal villages were locked down on Monday in anticipation of the lava meeting the Atlantic Ocean.
Spain classified La Palma as a disaster zone on Tuesday, a move that will trigger financial support for the island.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Miguel Pereira, Miguel Gutierrez, Anna Valderrama)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None