- Title: Authorities resume cleanliness drive in Kashmirâ€™s Dal Lake
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (ANI-NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF MACHINES CLEANING DAL LAKE VARIOUS OF WORKERS STANDING ON BOATS AND REMOVING GARBAGE GARBAGE IN LAKE WORKERS STANDING ON BOATS AND CLEANING GARBAGE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) VICE CHAIRMAN AT JAMMU AND KASHMIR LAKES AND WATERWAYS DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY, DR. BASHIR AHMAD BHAT, SAYING: "This year we have increased mechanical component. We have deployed around 15 to 16 machines, especially machine for lily extraction. It is a live lake so the scientific advisory for macrophytes, aquatic plants is that only 30 to 40 percent should be taken out and there are other factors involved as well because it is a habitat for waterfowl and fish as well." WORKERS STANDING ON LAKE (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TOURIST, MUNEER KHAN, SAYING: "The lake was cleaned after COVID(-19) and we have come here to visit .We feel good and want to see (the lake) and we are happy with the government that they did a good job." VARIOUS OF MACHINES CLEANING LAKE VARIOUS OF FOUNTAINS IN LAKE
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 11:40
- Keywords: Dal Lake India Jammu and Kashmir Srinagar cleaning environment machines
- Location: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- City: SRINAGAR, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA
- Country: India
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRUMHB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cleaning of the iconic Dal Lake is in full swing in India's northern Srinagar city as authorities try to restore the beauty of the lake and bring in more tourists.
Jammu and Kashmir Lakes and Waterways Development Authority brought machines to speed up the cleaning process as manual cleaning was also done on Wednesday (September 29) to clean lily, weed and garbage from the lake.
"This year we have increased mechanical component. We have deployed around 15 to 16 machines, especially machine for lily extraction," said, Vice Chairman, Jammu and Kashmir Lakes and Waterways Development Authority, Dr. Bashir Ahmad Bhat.
Dal Lake is integral to tourism and recreation in Kashmir and is named the "Jewel in the Crown of Kashmir" or "Srinagar's Jewel" with houseboats being a major tourist attraction for decades in the beautiful Kashmir valley.
The lake also acts as an important source for commercial operations in fishing and water plant harvesting.
Over the years, the Dal Lake has deteriorated considerably as thousands of tons of sewage spew into it, feeding weeds, and choking the lake and its aquatic life of oxygen.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None