- Title: Fumio Kishida voted Japan's new ruling LDP leader, on track to become PM
- Date: 29th September 2021
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (SEPTEMBER 29, 2021) (REUTERS) ELECTION ORGANISERS OPENING BALLOT BOX ORGANISERS TAKING OUT BALLOTS LIBERAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY (LDP) ELECTION COMMITTEE MEMBERS SEATED ORGANISERS WALKING TO TABLE TO COUNT VOTES VARIOUS OF ORGANISERS COUNTING VOTES SCREEN SHOWING TOTAL VOTE COUNTS FOR THE FOUR CANDIDATES IN FIRST ROUND OF ELECTION LDP LAWMAKERS SEATED SCREEN SHOWING RUNOFF VOTING ANNOUNCEMENT AND PHOTO OF LDP PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES TARO KONO (LEFT) AND FUMIO KISHIDA (RIGHT) ELECTION IN PROGRESS LDP LAWMAKERS IN LINE TO VOTE IN RUNOFF LAWMAKERS AT POLLING BOOTHS KISHIDA WALKING KISHIDA CASTING VOTE INTO BALLOT BOX HANDS OF LAWMAKERS CASTING VOTES INTO BALLOT BOX KONO WALKING FROM POLLING BOOTH TO CAST VOTE LAWMAKERS VOTING ORGANISERS COUNTING RUNOFF VOTES ORGANISER ANNOUNCING RESULTS SCREEN SHOWING TOTAL VOTE COUNTS FOR KONO (LEFT) AND KISHIDA (RIGHT) IN RUNOFF KISHIDA STANDING UP AND BOWING AS HE IS NAMED WINNER OF ELECTION PRIME MINISTER, YOSHIHIDE SUGA, (FAR RIGHT) AND LDP LAWMAKERS SEATED ON STAGE KISHIDA WALKING TO MICROPHONE (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) NEWLY ELECTED LDP PRESIDENT, FUMIO KISHIDA, SAYING: "I want to firmly show a reborn Liberal Democratic Party to the Japanese citizens and urge them to support us." KISHIDA SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (Japanese) NEWLY ELECTED LDP PRESIDENT, FUMIO KISHIDA, SAYING: "From today, I will, with all of my energy, get straight to work. Party members around the country and members of the parliament, please work with me." KISHIDA BOWING AND ELECTION ORGANISER GIVING BOUQUET OF FLOWERS / SUGA WALKING TO STAGE / SUGA AND KISHIDA BOWING TO EACH OTHER KISHIDA PRESENTING BOUQUET OF FLOWERS TO SUGA / SUGA AND KISHIDA PUTTING THEIR HANDS UP TOGETHER
- Embargoed: 13th October 2021 08:52
- Keywords: Fumio Kishida Japan Tokyo LDP Liberal Democratic Party Taro Kono election lawmakers leader voting
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Topics: Asia / Pacific,Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA001EWRT3YF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former foreign minister Fumio Kishida won a ruling Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) leadership race on Wednesday (September 29), a victory that virtually ensures he will succeed Yoshihide Suga as prime minister within days.
In an acceptance speech, Kishida vowed to lead a transformed party in a general election due within weeks and continue to fight the COVID-19 pandemic which has battered Japan's economy.
However, Kishida enjoys only moderate public support and has a bland image and his victory could spell problems for the LDP in the election due by November 28.
Kishida defeated former defence and foreign minister Taro Kono, seen as an outspoken maverick, in a second round run-off vote. Two female contenders, Sanae Takaichi, 60, and Seiko Noda, 61, dropped out after the first round.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Akiko Okamoto)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None