- Title: Alexei Navalny: Putin's vocal opponent tipped for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 28th September 2021
- Summary: Personal physician of Navalny, Anastasia Vasilyeva said on August 20 that he has been poisoned with an unknown agent. OMSK, RUSSIA (FILE - AUGUST 20, 2020) (REUTERS) NAVALNY'S DOCTOR ANASTASIA VASILYEVA TALKING TO JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) NAVALNY'S DOCTOR, ANASTASIA VASILYEVA, SAYING: "Alexei is in stable serious condition." REPORTER ASKING: "What do you think it is?" "It is a poisoning with an unknown agent... toxic encephalopathy, coma."
- Embargoed: 12th October 2021 10:27
- Keywords: 2021 Nobel Prize Russia Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny Vladimir Putin coma jail term poisoned protests
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA00NEWXU1JB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: CONTAINS PROFANITY
Imprisoned Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny is among the nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.
Navalny, 45, a strong and vocal opponent of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was nominated for his â€œefforts for a peaceful democratisation of Russiaâ€ by Norwegian former minister Ola Elvestuen.
He was poisoned in August 2020 by what Western nations said was a nerve agent and is serving a two-and-a-half-year sentence for parole violations he calls trumped up.
The EU has imposed sanctions on Russian officials over Navalny's poisoning and imprisonment.
Moscow denies any wrongdoing and accuses the EU of meddling in its domestic affairs.
Navalny is also nominated for the 2021 European Parliament's annual human rights prize.
This year's Nobel Prizes, awarded for achievements in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature, peace and economics, will be announced from October 4 to 11.
(Production: Paul Warren, Gabriela Boccaccio, Natasa Bansagi, Polly Rider, Lucy Marks, Louisa Naks, Mindy Burrows, Hedy Beloucif)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None