- Title: UNHCR possible contender for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: LESBOS, GREECE (FILE - SEPTEMBER 28, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BUSES ARRIVING NEAR NEW TEMPORARY CAMP TO PICK UP PEOPLE TO TAKE THEM TO PORT, PEOPLE LOADING THEIR BAGGAGE INTO BUSES AND BOARDING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT THE ENTRANCE TO THE NEW TENT CAMP WAITING BEHIND GATES AND POLICE TAPE TO BE TAKEN TO BUSES FOR PORT, POLICE SUPERVISING PEOPLE WAITING TO BOARD BUSES VARIOUS OF POLICE WATCHING AS PEOPLE WAIT TO BOARD BUSES LESBOS, GREECE (FILE - SEPTEMBER 16, 2020) (REUTERS) NEW TEMPORARY TENT CAMP ON LESBOS BY THE SEA VARIOUS OF NEW TENT CAMP (SOUNDBITE) (English) UNHCR REPRESENTATIVE IN GREECE, PHILIPPE LECLERC, SAYING: "UNHCR is pushing the authorities to accelerate the process so that people do not stay too long in these places. This is still our message, we hope that any new camp does not go, does not become overcrowded because it's unmanageable." PEOPLE WAITING TO ENTER CAMP PILE OF BELONGINGS VARIOUS OF WOMEN TALKING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING ALONGSIDE TENTS GIRL SITTING BY TENTS
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 18:51
- Keywords: 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Nobel Peace Prize UN UNHCR contender migrants refugees
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA008EWXFZUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United Nations refugee agency is a possible contender for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize award.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was set up in 1950 and has already won the Noble Peace Prize twice - in 1954 and in 1981 for its work in aiding and protecting the rights of migrants and refugees around the globe.
The UNHCR has responded to multiple refugee crises around the world in recent years, including the influx of Rohingya Muslims into Bangladesh from neighbouring Myanmar, the movement of people from the Democratic Republic of Congo into Uganda, and people fleeing political and economic turmoil in Venezuela into Colombia and northeast Brazil.
In 2021, the agency continued its work worldwide alongside helping refugees affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and working with those displaced by the Talibanâ€™s takeover of Afghanistan.
There will be no banquet in Stockholm this year and laureates will receive their Nobel Prize medals and diplomas in their home countries, the Nobel Foundation has said.
The traditional festivities were replaced last year as well with a mainly digital celebration as the pandemic raged Europe and the rest of the world.
The Foundation said the ceremony will be broadcast on television and live-streamed via its Nobel Prize digital platforms.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee is keeping open the possibility of awarding the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo in an in-person event.
Last year's Peace Prize was awarded to the World Food Programme in a virtual ceremony.
There are 329 candidates for 2021's Nobel Peace Prize, the third-highest number of contenders for the prestigious award ever.
This year's Nobel Prizes, awarded for achievement in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature, peace, and economics, will be announced from October 4 to 11, with the Nobel Peace Prize on October 8.
(Production: Louisa Naks, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None