- Title: UNHCR possible contender for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 27th September 2021
- Summary: SHIRE, TIGRAY REGION, ETHIOPIA (FILE - MARCH 15, 2021) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WAITING FOR FOOD AID AT THE TSEHAYE PRIMARY SCHOOL IN THE TOWN OF SHIRE MEKELLE, TIGRAY REGION, ETHIOPIA (FILE - MARCH 12, 2021) (REUTERS) VOLUNTEERS CARRYING FOOD DONATIONS FOR THE INTERNALLY DISPLACED, AT THE ADIHA SECONDARY SCHOOL UM RAKUBA CAMP, QADARIF, SUDAN (FILE - NOVEMBER 23, 2020) (REUTERS) UNHCR AID WORKERS WITH REFUGEES MOTHER CARRYING BABY
- Embargoed: 11th October 2021 18:51
- Keywords: 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Nobel Peace Prize UN UNHCR contender migrants refugees
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00AEWXFZUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United Nations refugee agency is a possible contender for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize award.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was set up in 1950 and has already won the Noble Peace Prize twice - in 1954 and in 1981 for its work in aiding and protecting the rights of migrants and refugees around the globe.
The UNHCR has responded to multiple refugee crises around the world in recent years, including the influx of Rohingya Muslims into Bangladesh from neighbouring Myanmar, the movement of people from the Democratic Republic of Congo into Uganda, and people fleeing political and economic turmoil in Venezuela into Colombia and northeast Brazil.
In 2021, the agency continued its work worldwide alongside helping refugees affected by the COVID-19 pandemic and working with those displaced by the Talibanâ€™s takeover of Afghanistan.
There will be no banquet in Stockholm this year and laureates will receive their Nobel Prize medals and diplomas in their home countries, the Nobel Foundation has said.
The traditional festivities were replaced last year as well with a mainly digital celebration as the pandemic raged Europe and the rest of the world.
The Foundation said the ceremony will be broadcast on television and live-streamed via its Nobel Prize digital platforms.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee is keeping open the possibility of awarding the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo in an in-person event.
Last year's Peace Prize was awarded to the World Food Programme in a virtual ceremony.
There are 329 candidates for 2021's Nobel Peace Prize, the third-highest number of contenders for the prestigious award ever.
This year's Nobel Prizes, awarded for achievement in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature, peace, and economics, will be announced from October 4 to 11, with the Nobel Peace Prize on October 8.
(Production: Louisa Naks, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None