- Title: WHO possible contender for 2021 Nobel Peace Prize
- Date: 30th September 2021
- Summary: GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - FEBRUARY 1, 2016) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF WHO HEADQUARTERS WHO EMBLEM ON WALL VARIOUS OF NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (English) THEN WHO DIRECTOR-GENERAL, DR. MARGARET CHAN, SAYING: "I am now declaring that the recent cluster of microcephaly and other neurological abnormalities reported in Latin America, following a similar cluster of French Polynesia in 2014, constitutes a public health emergency of international concern." GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - JANUARY 30, 2020) (REUTERS) WHO DIRECTOR GENERAL TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, WHO HEAD OF EMERGENCIES PROGRAMME MIKE RYAN, AND OFFICIALS TAKING THEIR SEATS FOR NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) WHO DIRECTOR GENERAL, TEDROS ADHANOM GHEBREYESUS, SAYING: "I'm declaring a public health emergency of international concern over the global outbreak of (the) novel coronavirus. The main reason for this declaration is not because of what is happening in China, but because of what is happening in other countries. Our greatest concern is deportation for the virus to spread to countries with weaker health systems and which are ill prepared to deal with it. Let me be clear; this declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary, WHO continues to have confidence in China's capacity to control the outbreak. I'll repeat this, let me be clear; this declaration is not a vote of no confidence in China. On the contrary, WHO continues to have confidence in China's capacity to control the outbreak." GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - FEBRUARY 11, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF WHO HEADQUARTERS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ARRIVING AT WHO HEADQUARTERS, ENTERING BUILDING SCREEN INSIDE HALL, READING (English): "GLOBAL RESEARCH AND INNOVATION FORUM: TOWARDS A ROADMAP FOR THE NOVEL CORONAVIRUS MEETING" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING WHO VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF WHO HEADQUARTERS/ PEOPLE ENTERING GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (FILE - SEPTEMBER 25, 2020) (REUTERS) UNITED NATIONS BUILDING WHO CHIEF OF INFLUENZA PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE, ANN MOEN, ARRIVING FOR BRIEFING UN FLAG
- Embargoed: 14th October 2021 01:49
- Keywords: COVID-19 Ebola WHO World Health Organization Zika coronavirus possible contender for Nobel Peace Prize
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Various
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Reuters ID: LVA004EWXH7BB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The World Health Organization (WHO) is a possible contender for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize award.
The WHO is an agency of the United Nations set up in 1948 to improve health globally. It has more than 7,000 people working in 150 country offices, six regional offices and its Geneva headquarters.
Its director general - currently the Ethiopian Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus - is elected for a five-year term. Tedros' five-year term began on July 1, 2017.
The WHO's stated aim is "to promote health, keep the world safe and serve the vulnerable."
It has no power to impose health policies on national governments, but acts as an adviser and offers guidance on best practice in disease prevention and health improvement.
The WHO has 194 member states: every country except Liechtenstein which is a member of the United Nations but not of its global health agency. They appoint representatives to The World Health Assembly, which convenes annually and sets WHO policies. These policies are implemented by the WHO's Executive Board, composed of members technically qualified in health.
There will be no banquet in Stockholm this year and laureates will receive their Nobel Prize medals and diplomas in their home countries, the Nobel Foundation has said.
The Foundation said the ceremony will be broadcast on television and live streamed via its Nobel Prize digital platforms.
The Norwegian Nobel Committee is keeping open the possibility of awarding the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo in an in-person event.
Last year's Peace Prize was awarded to the World Food Programme in a virtual ceremony.
There are 329 candidates for 2021's Nobel Peace Prize, the third highest number of contenders for the prestigous award ever.
This year's Nobel Prizes, awarded in for achievement in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature, peace and economics, will be announced from October 4 to 11, with the Nobel Peace Prize announced on October 8.
The Nobel Prizes were created in the will of Swedish dynamite inventor and businessman Alfred Nobel and have been awarded since 1901.
(Production: Natasa Bansagi, Marissa Davison)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None