- Title: Lightning flashes over La Palma volcano
- Date: 9th October 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 9, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT) VARIOUS OF LIGHTNING/JET OF LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO VARIOUS OF JET OF LAVA ERUPTING AND FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2021 07:54
- Keywords: canaries la palma lava spain volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYFSAPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The red-hot eruption from the volcano on the Spanish island of La Palma was accompanied by flashes of lightning early on Saturday (October 9).
A study published in 2016 by the journal Geophysical Research Letters found lightning can be produced during volcanic eruptions because the collision of ash particles creates an electrical charge.
The Cumbre Vieja volcano began erupting on September 19 and has destroyed more than 800 buildings and forced the evacuation of about 6,000 people from their homes on the island. La Palma, with a population of about 83,000, is one of the Canary Islands in the Atlantic.
(Production: Silvio Castellanos, Amy Pollock)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None