- Title: Lava ravages buildings as La Palma volcano erupts into the night
- Date: 9th October 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 9, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO VARIOUS OF LAVA ENGULFING BUILDINGS, BUILDINGS ON FIRE LAVA ADVANCING LAVA BEHIND TREES LAVA ADVANCING LAVA ENGULFING BUILDING LAVA ERUPTING VARIOUS OF LAVA LAVA / VOLCANO LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO LAVA ADVANCING LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO LAVA ADVANCING
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2021 05:06
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYFS953
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Buildings near La Palma volcano were engulfed by rivers of lava on Saturday (October 9) early morning, as the eruption in the Spanish Canary Island laid waste to swathes of land and forced the evacuation of thousands.
The Cumbre Vieja volcano began its fiery eruption on Sept. 19 and has destroyed more than 800 buildings.
About 6,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on the island, which has a population of about 83,000 and is one of an archipelago making up the Canary Islands in the Atlantic.
(Production: Silvio Castellanos, Miguel Pereira, Roberto Esparza, Vin Shahrestani)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None