- Title: FILE - Alexander Schallenberg, proposed replacement for Austria's Kurz
- Date: 9th October 2021
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (FEBRUARY 14, 2020) (REUTERS) AUSTRIAN CHANCELLOR SEBASTIAN KURZ AND AUSTRIAN FOREIGN MINISTER ALEXANDER SCHALLENBERG ARRIVING TO MEET WITH CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER WANG YI KURZ AND AUSTRIAN FOREIGN MINISTER ALEXANDER SCHALLENBERG DURING MEETING CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTER WANG YI AND CHINESE DELEGATION DURING MEETING KURZ AND SCHALLENGERG VIENNA, AUSTRIA (AUGUST 14, 2020) (REUTERS) AUSTRIAN FOREIGN MINISTER, ALEXANDER SCHALLENBERG SPEAKING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE U.S. SECRETARY OF STATE MIKE POMPEO AND AUSTRIAN COUNTERPART ALEXANDER SCHALLENBERG DURING NEWS CONFERENCE SCHALLENBERG SPEAKING POMPEO AND SCHALLENBERG DURING NEWS BRIEFING SCHALLENBERG SPEAKING POMPEO AND SCHALLENBERG LEAVING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 23rd October 2021 21:30
- Keywords: Alexander Schallenberg Austria Sebastian Kurz
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: Austria
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYFR39J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Austria's conservative Chancellor Sebastian Kurz resigned on Saturday (October 9) to end a government crisis after his coalition partner said he was unfit to lead the country because he has been placed under investigation on suspicion of corruption.
The move by Kurz, who denies wrongdoing, satisfied the demand by his junior coalition partner, the Greens, that he go even though he plans to stay on as his party's leader and become its top lawmaker in parliament, positions from which he can continue to influence government policy.
"I would therefore like to make way in order to end the stalemate, to prevent chaos and to ensure stability," Kurz said in a statement to the media.
He added that he was proposing to President Alexander Van der Bellen that Foreign Minister Alexander Schallenberg, a career diplomat backed by Kurz's party, that he take over as chancellor.
Greens leader and Vice Chancellor Werner Kogler indicated he was satisfied, meaning Kurz had succeeded in pulling their coalition back from the brink.
(Production: Roberto Esparza)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None