- Title: Museum unveils equestrian statue of German chancellor Merkel
- Date: 10th October 2021
- Summary: ETSDORF, GERMANY (OCTOBER 10, 2021) (REUTERS) SPECTATOR TAKING PICTURE OF STATUE OF GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL ON HORSEBACK VARIOUS OF STATUE SIGN ON MUSEUM, READING "TEMPEL MUSEUM" STATUE AND MUSEUM VARIOUS OF STATUE MUSEUM VISITORS TAKING PICTURES OF MERKEL STATUE STATUE ON DISPLAY OF SMARTPHONE MAN TAKING PICTURE (SOUNDBITE) (German) MUSEUM VISITOR, HARALD PROEL, SAYING: "I think it is very good. Even though it looks like it is nothing historical. It is a modern statue, a 3D print. So it fits into the 21st century. And the ironic view to the east of Angela Merkel, I really like it." (SOUNDBITE) (German) MUSEUM VISITOR, (NO NAME GIVEN), SAYING: "The horse smirks and I think she looks sad. As I just said, I think it's terrible. She sacrificed herself for years, did something. And no one acknowledges it. It's like everywhere else." (SOUNDBITE) (German) MUSEUM VISITOR, ELISABETH DIETSCH-ZORN, SAYING: "Yes, the unpretentiousness of the person comes across well. She does not appear somehow conspicuous or dominant, but just unpretentious, modest. That's what I've always appreciated about Merkel. I always found that, even if politically I may not always agree with her, I've always found her personality very sympathetic." (SOUNDBITE) (German) MUSEUM VISITOR, SIMON MAYERHOFER, SAYING: "I'm not sure whether Angela Merkel can ride at all. And just to put her on a horse in this particular pose - that is an honour at the end of her term of office." VARIOUS OF STATUE VARIOUS OF VISITORS LOOKING AT STATUE CLOSE OF STATUE SHOWING MERKEL'S HANDS, A TRADEMARK GESTURE KNOWN AS "THE MERKEL RHOMBUS" VARIOUS OF STATUE
- Embargoed: 24th October 2021 14:40
- Keywords: Angela Merkel Etsdorf Tempel Museum museum statue
- Location: ETSDORF, GERMANY
- City: ETSDORF, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Europe,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYKRIVT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: An equestrian statue of outgoing German Chancellor Angela Merkel was unveiled last week at the Tempel Museum in the Bavarian region of Upper Palatinate to mark the end her 16-year term.
The life-size statue, by German artist Wilhelm Koch, depicts the CDU leader sitting on a mare wearing a pantsuit with her hands resting in the "Merkel rhombus," the chancellor's trademark pose with thumbs and fingers lightly bracing together.
Measuring 2.7 metres in height, the statue was made from lightweight concrete using 3D printing technology. The statue faces the east and there is no saddle or bridle.
"The ironic view to the east of Angela Merkel, I really like it," a visitor wanting to catch a glimpse of the statue said. But another visitor described it as "terrible."
Koch intends to keep the statue in Etsdorf for six months before being sold off.
(Production: Romana Fuessel, Niklas Woschek, Ute Swart)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None