- Title: La Palma volcano lights up sky at dawn
- Date: 10th October 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 10, 2021) (REUTERS) (NIGHT) VARIOUS OF JET OF LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO, LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE RED-HOT LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE, SMOKE RISING RED-HOT LAVA FLOW (MUTE) TIMELAPSE FOOTAGE OF JET OF LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO, LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE AS SKY GETS LIGHTER LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 10, 2021) (REUTERS) JET OF LAVA ERUPTING FROM VOLCANO, LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE PEOPLE ON BALCONY WATCHING VOLCANO ERUPTION STREAM OF RED HOT LAVA FLOWING DOWN HILLSIDE, CLOUD OF SMOKE OVER HILL JET OF LAVA NEAR RIM OF VOLCANO
- Embargoed: 24th October 2021 08:22
- Keywords: Canary Islands Cumbre Vieja La Palma lava smoke volcano
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYKSRWN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Red-hot spurts of lava from the Cumbre Vieja volcano on the Spanish island of La Palma turned the sky pink on Sunday (October 10).
Lava streamed down the hillside and clouds smoke rose above the volcano as day broke, Reuters footage showed.
Since the Cumbre Vieja volcano began erupting on Sept. 19 it has destroyed nearly 1,150 buildings and engulfed 480 hectares (1,190 acres) of land, the European Commission Copernicus Emergency Management Service tweeted on Saturday (October 9).
About 6,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on La Palma, which is one of the Canary Islands in the Atlantic and which has about 83,000 inhabitants.
There were a series of 37 seismic movements on Saturday, with the largest measuring 4.1, the Spanish National Geological Institute said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None