- Title: Rescued migrants arrive in Spain's Gran Canaria
- Date: 10th October 2021
- Summary: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN (OCTOBER 10, 2021) (REUTERS) CHILD BEING CARRIED OUT OF COAST GUARD BOAT WOMAN AND CHILD WRAPPED IN BLANKETS ON BOAT MIGRANTS TALKING ON BOAT PERSON BEING CARRIED OUT OF BOAT ON STRETCHER MIGRANTS ON BOAT CHILD BEING CARRIED OUT OF BOAT MIGRANT ON BOAT MIGRANT RECEIVING MASK/ MIGRANTS ON BOAT VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ON BOAT WRAPPED IN BLANKETS VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS DISEMBARKING BOAT AMBULANCES PARKED
- Embargoed: 24th October 2021 22:57
- Keywords: Canary Islands Europe Gran Canaria Spain boat cayuco island migrants
- Location: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- City: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Europe,Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics,Editors' Choice
- Reuters ID: LVA001EYKT9AF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Spanish coast guard boat transported 36 migrants intercepted in the Atlantic Ocean to the island of Gran Canaria on Sunday (October 10).
Migrants, including women and children, were rescued 6 miles off Canary Islands and transported to Arguineguin port.
Spain's Canary Islands have experience a surge in seaborne migration that has seen thousands make the dangerous crossing from Africa to the Atlantic archipelago.
Data from the Interior Ministry showed more than 13,100 migrants had arrived by sea to the Canaries archipelago by September 30, more than double the number in the equivalent period in 2020.
Over 23,000 migrants arrived in the archipelago in 2020, which marked an eight-fold increase from 2019 and was one of the busiest years for such crossings in the past decade, overwhelming authorities and sparking tensions on the islands.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Elena Rodriquez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None