- Title: La Palma volcano forces new lockdowns as lava engulfs constructions
- Date: 11th October 2021
- Summary: LA PALMA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 11, 2021) (REUTERS) TIME-LAPSE OF LAVA STREAM ENGULFING CEMENT WAREHOUSE, WAREHOUSE BURNING AND SMOKE BILLOWING
- Embargoed: 25th October 2021 14:34
- Keywords: Cumbre Vieja volcano erupting La Palma volcano lava streams satellite pictures
- Location: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- City: LA PALMA, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Europe,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA003EYPTKXZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Spain's La Palma authorities announced on Monday (October 11) new lockdowns as lava from Cumbre Vieja volcano engulfed a cement factory, among other buildings, causing a huge cloud of smoke.
Authorities will analyse air quality to monitor if its dangerous for population, director of Canary Islands Volcanic Emergency Plan (Pevolca) organization Miguel Angel Morcuende told reporters.
Pevolca committee is also monitoring the new flow of lava that is 300 metres away from ocean and may reach the ocean soon, creating another delta of lava in the Atlantic Ocean.
Spanish Institute of Geology and Mining (IGME) shot on Saturday (October 9) massive blocks of lava flowing down the hillside from La Palma volcano.
The blocks of red-hot magma flowed down the side of the Cumbre Vieja volcano were the size of three-story buildings, IGME said on Sunday (October 10).
Los Llanos de Aridane city hall were forced to open an unfinished parking lot for caravans so local residents affected by volcano eruption could use it.
Lava has engulfed 591 hectares (1,458 acres) of land, said Morcuende on Monday.
About 6,000 people have been evacuated from their homes on La Palma, which has about 83,000
(Production: Silvio Castellanos, Guillermo Martinez, Elena Rodriguez, Miguel Gutierrez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2021. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None