- Title: Practice run for presidential inauguration
- Date: 15th January 2017
- Summary: WIDE SHOT OF AREA WHERE SWEARING-IN WILL TAKE PLACE AT U.S. CAPITOL TRUMP STAND-IN AT PODIUM
- Embargoed: 29th January 2017 18:14
- Keywords: Inauguration rehearsal rehearsal Trump inauguration President Donald Trump Pence
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C.; UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C.; UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0055Z6Y5VR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A dress rehearsal for U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's inauguration is held on Sunday (January 15) at the U.S. Capitol, ahead of the official inauguration which will be held on Friday, January 20th.
Trump will serve as the 45th president of the United States.
Estimates vary for the number of people expected to attend the inauguration. The D.C. Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management is reportedly planning for 800,000 to 900,000 people to attend the swearing-in ceremony and inaugural parade. President Barack Obama drew an estimated 1.8 million people to the National Mall eight years ago.
Trump, a New York real estate developer, won with a populist platform that included promises to build a wall along the Mexican border and restrict immigration from Muslim countries. He also promised to crack down on companies moving jobs out of the United States.
Trump's disparaging comments about immigrants and women and stance against President Barack Obama's healthcare law have drawn the anger of many on the left, who plan a series of protests.
Trump blasted U.S. Representative John Lewis after the Georgia Democrat and civil rights campaigner said he did not see Trump as a legitimate president.
Lewis told NBC News in an interview for Sunday's "Meet the Press" that he believed Russia's alleged hacking aimed at helping Trump put his legitimacy into question.
Trump replied on Twitter on Saturday that Lewis should focus instead on his Atlanta district. "All talk, talk, talk - no action or results! Sad!," he wrote.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None