- Title: Taiwanâ€™s president arrives home after Central America trip
- Date: 15th January 2017
- Summary: TAOYUAN CITY, TAIWAN (JANUARY 15, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** TAIWAN PRESIDENT TSAI ING-WEN WALKING OUT OF GATE RECEIVING FLOWERS TSAI WALKING TO PODIUM PRESIDENT TSAI STANDING AT PODIUM TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) TAIWAN PRESIDENT, TSAI ING-WEN SAYING: "So during our trip abroad, we held bilateral talks with four heads of state about the global trends and our future bilateral cooperation and communications. We also grasped our brief transit time in the United States to visit industry and talk with important people in America." TSAI WAVING TO MEDIA AND LEAVING PODIUM/WALKING TO SHAKE HANDS WITH FOREIGN DIPLOMATS TO TAIWAN PRESIDENT TSAI SHAKING HANDS WITH FOREIGN DIPLOMATS FOREIGN REPRESENTATIVE LOOKING ON REPRESENTATIVES AND STAFF LEAVING ROOM
- Embargoed: 29th January 2017 15:16
- Keywords: Taiwan United States diplomatic trip international relations Tsai Ing-wen
- Location: TAOYUAN CITY, TAIWAN
- City: TAOYUAN CITY, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0015Z6XU13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen returned home on Sunday (January 15) after her trip to Central America which also included a stopover in the United States where she met with U.S. officials.
Beijing had asked U.S. officials not to allow Tsai to transit or have formal government meetings there under the "one China" policy, which Beijing says is the non-negotiable political basis for China-U.S. relations.
Under the nearly four-decade-old policy, the United States only has formal ties with China rather than the island of Taiwan, which Beijing sees as a breakaway province to be reunified with the mainland one day.
Tsai said that talks were held with the four Central American heads of state about bilateral cooperation and communications.
"We also grasped our brief transit time in the United States to visit industry and talk with important people in America," she said at Taiwan's international airport upon landing.
U.S. officials had said Tsai's transit stops were based on long-standing U.S. practice and Tsai's office had characterized her meetings on U.S. soil as private and unofficial.
The visit came amidst mounting controversy over Trump's remarks about Taiwan.
On her way to Central America, Tsai met with senior Republican lawmakers in Houston.
During a visit to messaging service Twitter Inc on Saturday in San Francisco, Tsai reactivated an old account and tweeted: "Had a great visit to @Twitter HQ today. Thank you to @vijaya and team for showing us around!"
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None