- Title: Massa comes out of retirement to rejoin Williams
- Date: 16th January 2017
- Summary: GROVE, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - NOVEMBER 3, 2016) (REUTERS) BOTTAS ARRIVING AT THE LAUNCH OF WILLIAMS' 2017 TEAM WITH NEW SIGNING LANCE STROLL VARIOUS OF STROLL AND BOTTAS POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS WITH A WILLIAMS F1 CAR WILLIAMS' 2017 CAR ON DISPLAY
- Embargoed: 30th January 2017 15:13
- Keywords: Felipe Massa Williams Bottas retirement Formula One
- Location: LONDON AND GROVE, ENGLAND, UK; MEXICO CITY, MEXICO; PESSIONE, ITALY
- City: LONDON AND GROVE, ENGLAND, UK; MEXICO CITY, MEXICO; PESSIONE, ITALY
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Motor Racing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0045ZBX0LB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian Felipe Massa, who retired at the end of last season, has agreed a one-year contract to re-join Williams and take on the seat vacated by former teammate Valtteri Bottas.
Finnish driver Bottas will replace retired Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg at Mercedes this season, Williams announced on Monday (January 16).
Bottas, 27, will partner Britain's triple world champion Lewis Hamilton at dominant Mercedes, winners of the last three drivers and constructors' titles and favourites again this year.
The 35-year-old Massa, a former race winner with Ferrari and 2008 world championship runner-up, will partner 18-year-old Canadian rookie Lance Stroll.
Williams deputy principal Claire Williams had said the team would not stand in Bottas's way, providing they could secure a suitable replacement.
Sauber earlier set the merry-go-round in motion by announcing that German driver Pascal Wehrlein, who was the Mercedes reserve and Bottas's main rival to replace Rosberg, would race for them this year.
Wehrlein, 22, drove for struggling Manor as a rookie last year but Mercedes felt they needed a more experienced replacement.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None