- Title: Funeral held for victims of Russian military plane crash
- Date: 16th January 2017
- Summary: MOSCOW, RUSSIA (JANUARY 16, 2017) (REUTERS) ARCH AT MEMORIAL MILITARY CEMETERY VARIOUS OF PROCESSION WITH CASKETS FOLLOWED BY RELATIVES AND FRIENDS MILITARY BAND PLAYING PROCESSION HONOUR GUARDS
- Embargoed: 30th January 2017 13:13
- Keywords: Russia airplane Sochi military crash plane Elizaveta Glinka Alexandrov band
- Location: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- City: MOSCOW, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Air Accidents,Disaster/Accidents
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZBYRT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A sombre ceremony was held at a military memorial cemetery in Moscow on Monday (January 16) for dozens of victims of Russian defence ministry plane crash.
A Syria-bound Tupolev-154 with dozens of Red Army Choir singers and dancers as well as journalists on board plunged into the Black Sea on December 25 shortly after take-off from Sochi in southern Russia killing its 92 passengers and crew.
Dozens of caskets covered with Russian flags were carried by honour guards as a military band played a funeral march.
A memorial service was also held at Moscow Novodevichy cemetery for Elizaveta Glinka, known in Russia as Doctor Liza, a head of charity fund who was also on board the plane to accompany a humanitarian cargo for the university hospital Tishrin in Latakia.
"I can not even imagine so much kindness and honour in one person. I do not believe there are other people like her. My opinion is that people like her should be consecrated a saint. This is my opinion as a person who knew her... It hurts to loose such a person, it hurts a lot," one of the mourners Yulia Sumenkova told Reuters.
Russian authorities are still investigating the cause of the crash and said earlier that there was no explosion on board.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.