- Title: Taiwan conducts military drills
- Date: 17th January 2017
- Summary: TAICHUNG, TAIWAN (JANUARY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) HELICOPTER UH-60M SPIRALLING IN SKY OVER MILITARY BASE DURING MILITARY EXERCISE SOLDIERS RAPPELLING DOWN FROM HELICOPTER M60A3 TTS TANK FIRING DURING MILITARY EXERCISE, SMOKE RISING PLUMES OF SMOKE RISING DURING MILITARY EXERCISE ARMED SOLDIERS MOVING IN FORMATION SOLDIER CHECKING MOCK BODY OF ENEMY ON THE GROUND DURING MILITARY EXERCISE SOLDIER KNOCKING DOWN DOOR OF CONTAINER DURING EXERCISE, ANOTHER SOLDIER THROWING HAND GRENADE INSIDE / BOMB EXPLODING AND SOLDIERS RUNNING INSIDE CONTAINER M109A2 TANK DRIVING OVER VEHICLE DURING EXERCISE SOLDIERS MOVING BEHIND CM-32 ARMOURED VEHICLE DURING EXERCISE SOLDIER WAVING FLAG OF TAIWAN, THE REPUBLIC OF CHINA, DURING EXERCISE (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) SPOKESPERSON OF TAIWAN'S MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEFENSE, CHEN CHUNG-JI, SAYING: "We have a standard procedure for these drills. No matter what the outside threats are, (the exercise) would only further strengthen our familiarity with related drills, allowing us to better understand whether it's the command mechanism or general training. To us it's very important. So threats from outside also remind us that we need to be more proactive when it comes to combat readiness." PARACHUTISTS JUMPING OFF PLANE DURING EXERCISE VARIOUS OF PARACHUTISTS IN SKY PARACHUTIST LANDING DURING EXERCISE TAICHUNG, TAIWAN (JANUARY 17, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOT) IDF FIGHTER JET TAKING OFF IN DARK
- Embargoed: 31st January 2017 17:48
- Keywords: Taiwan R.O.C. military drills Taichung
- Location: TAICHUNG, TAIWAN
- City: TAICHUNG, TAIWAN
- Country: Taiwan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZH0PXJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Taiwan conducted its annual military drills on Tuesday (January 17) amid recent escalating tensions in the region.
The first day of the drills, taking place in Taichung in central Taiwan, included a series of exercises simulating real war scenarios.
The military stressed that Taiwan was prepared to face any external threats, after a group of Chinese warships, led by China's Soviet built Liaoning aircraft carrier, entered the Taiwan Strait last week.
"No matter what the outside threats are, (the exercise) would only further strengthen our familiarity with related drills, allowing us to better understand whether it's the command mechanism or general training. To us it's very important. So threats from outside also remind us that we need to be more proactive when it comes to combat readiness," said Chen Chung-ji, spokesperson for Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense.
China has said the Liaoning was on an exercise to test weapons and equipment in the disputed South China Sea and its movements complied with international law.
The latest Chinese exercises have unnerved Beijing's neighbours, especially Taiwan which Beijing claims as its own, given long-running territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
The drills take place on January 17 and 18.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None