- Title: FEMEN activist bares breats at unveling of Trump wax statue in Madrid
- Date: 17th January 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) MADRID WAX MUSEUM SPOKESMAN, GONZALO PRESA, SAYING: "It's not the kind of publicity I am interested in, the publicity that really interests me is that we are the first wax museum to make the figure of the U.S. president and that the people who visit us find the statue is well made. I am not interested in that other kind of publicity." CURTAIN BEING OPENED TO UNVEIL TRUMP STATUE
- Embargoed: 31st January 2017 10:36
- Keywords: Donald Trump Madrid Wax museum wax statue FEMEN topless
- Location: No-Data-Available
- City: No-Data-Available
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0025ZGYRLZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:++++EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: NUDITY AND PROFANE LANGUAGE IN THIS EDIT+++++
A topless activist from the feminist group Femen stormed the unveiling of a life-size wax statue of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump at Madrid's wax museum on Tuesday (January 17).
She ran into the ceremony screaming "grab patriarchy by the balls" whilst museum staff at the event tried to cover the woman with a jacket and remove her from the premises but she managed on several occasions to pose by the wax statue, grabbing its crotch at one point.
The activist eventually left through a back door after museum staff managed pushed her out of the premises.
Gonzalo Presa, the spokesman for the Madrid Wax Museum, called the woman's actions "unpleasant," and said such actions should be done directly at the person not at a statue.
"It's not the kind of publicity I am interested in, the publicity that really interests me is that we are the first wax museum to make the figure of the U.S. president and that the people who visit us find the statue is well made. I am not interested in that other kind of publicity," he said.
Artisans had spent over three days making the wax figure and paying special attention to the colour and style of Trump's signature hair, Presa said.
FEMEN, an international group which began in Ukraine, is known for staging topless women's right protests throughout Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None