- Title: Icebreakers push through frozen stretch of Danube on Croatia-Serbia border
- Date: 18th January 2017
- Summary: DALJ, CROATIA (JANUARY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) ICEBREAKER SEEN IN DISTANCE ICEBREAKER CRUSHING ICE ON FROZEN RIVER FROZEN RIVER SHORE SIGN READING (Croatian) "STATE BORDER" RIVER SURFACE COVERED IN ICE AS SEEN FROM CROATIAN SIDE VUKOVAR, CROATIA (JANUARY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (Croatian) VUKOVAR PORT CAPTAIN, IVAN BAROVIC, SAYING: "A meeting of three countries - Hungary, Serbia, and Croatia - was held on Monday, and it was decided that Hungary should send icebreakers to plough through the ice barrier. They arrived and have spent the last two days trying to crush through the ice-covered stretch of the river, which is currently 10 kilometres long." DALJ, CROATIA (JANUARY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ICEBREAKER ADVANCING THROUGH ICE AS SEEN FROM CROATIAN SIDE OF RIVER MAN STANDING NEXT TO OPEN FIRE ON RIVER SHORE/PAN TO ICEBREAKER IN DISTANCE BELGRADE, SERBIA (JANUARY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) WIDE OF DANUBE RIVER IN BELGRADE COVERED IN ICE BOAT STUCK IN RIVER COVERED IN ICE SWAN WALKING ON RIVER ICE VARIOUS OF BOATS STUCK IN ICE WIDE OF RIVER COVERED IN ICE
- Embargoed: 1st February 2017 17:17
- Keywords: Europe Weather Danube Ice Icebreaker
- Location: DALJ, VUKOVAR; CROATIA/ BELGRADE, SERBIA
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZLXWL5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Hungarian icebreaker pushed through a stretch of frozen Danube which marks Croatia-Serbia border on Wednesday (January 18).
The 10 kilometre stretch of Danube near the Croatian village of Dalj in the east of the country was completely blocked by ice last week after low temperatures and snowfall covered the river surface in an ice sheet reaching up to 2 meters in thickness.
The sudden freeze brought the usually busy river traffic to a standstill, disrupting transports along the Danube in Hungary, Croatia and Serbia.
The three neighbouring countries held a joint emergency meeting on Monday (January 16), and decided Hungary will send two icebreakers to the area to carve out a corridor through the river ice.
"A meeting of three countries - Hungary, Serbia, and Croatia - was held on Monday, and it was decided that Hungary should send icebreakers to plow through the ice barrier. They arrived and have spent the last two days trying to crush through the ice covered stretch of the river, which is currently 10 kilometres long," port captain of the eastern Croatian river town of Vukovar, Ivan Barovic, told Reuters.
The icebreakers are expected to clear the entire stretch of blocked river in the coming days, although the thickness of ice may slow their progress.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None