- Title: British Olympic athletes James Ellington and Nigel Levine seriously injured
- Date: 18th January 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - MAY 5, 2012) (REUTERS) VIEWS OF LONDON'S OLYMPIC STADIUM WHICH WAS BEING USED FOR THE FIRST TIME
- Embargoed: 1st February 2017 13:21
- Keywords: James Ellington Nigel Levine
- Location: FILE
- City: FILE
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Athletics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZLZB5R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: British sprinters James Ellington and Nigel Levine have been seriously injured in a road traffic accident in Tenerife, British Athletics said on Wednesday (January 18).
The incident, which occurred on Tuesday evening (January 17), left both in hospital with leg and pelvic injuries.
"Regretfully we can confirm that James Ellington and Nigel Levine have sustained injuries following a road accident in Tenerife on Tuesday evening," a statement said.
"Both athletes are receiving medical treatment and are conscious and stable. British Athletics medical staff are with the athletes and liaising with hospital staff over their treatment."
An update on their conditions is expected later.
Ellington made the British team at last year's Rio Olympics. His 4x100m relay team took fifth place in the Olympic final, benefiting from the disqualification of the USA team. He also finished fifth in his first round individual 100m heat.
He was in the two 4x100m British relay 4x100m teams that won gold at the European Championships in Zurich in 2014 and then successfully defended the title in Amsterdam in 2016.
The 31-year-old Londoner also took part in the London Olympics where he was eliminated in the 200m heats.
Ellington made the headlines in 2011 when he attempted to raise sponsorship to fund his training for the Olympic Games by auctioning himself on the eBay website. The winning bid proved to be a hoax but the publicity gained him sponsorship from a toiletry firm, helping him to qualify for the British team.
Levine, who specialises in the 400m, competed at the London 2012 Olympics and was part of the British squad that won relay gold at the 2014 European Championships in Zurich.
His 4x400m relay team at the 2016 Rio Olympics was disqualified after their heat.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None