- Title: Polish President meets Israeli counterpart, lays wreath at Holocaust memorial.
- Date: 17th January 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** DUDA TURNING ETERNAL FLAME HIGHER FLAME DUDA LAYING A WREATH RABBI DURING CEREMONY MORE OF DUDA DURING MEMORIAL CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 31st January 2017 16:45
- Keywords: Israel Jerusalem Poland Polish President Duda Holocaust memorial
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0055ZGXO3D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Polish President Andrzej Duda laid a wreath at Jerusalem's Holocaust memorial on Tuesday (January 17) at the start of a four day visit to Israel and the West Bank.
Duda met Israeli President Reuven Rivlin in Jerusalem before laying a wreath at the Hall of Remembrance at Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial Museum. After an official welcoming ceremony at Israel's presidential residence, Duda and Rivlin held a joint news conference.
"Our meetings with heads of the Polish government were always full of content. They testify for the strong ties that exist between the states and between the two people for thousands of years. Tight historical ties along with brave dealing with a rich, complex and also painful past," Rivlin told reporters.
"The ties between are nations have a thousand year old history and this relationship is bound with common ties, often family ties but mostly cultural tiers, this is a giant value which definitely connects our nations," said Duda.
Duda was also scheduled to lay wreaths at the tombstones of Israel's past leaders before visiting Israel's parliament and some of Jerusalem's old city shrines.
On Wednesday (January 18) Duda is scheduled to tour the West Bank town of Bethlehem and meet his Palestinian counterpart Mahmoud Abbas. Later, he will meet Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for dinner at his Jerusalem residence.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None