- Title: Ukraine's believers plunge in water to celebrate Epiphany
- Date: 19th January 2017
- Summary: KIEV UKRAINE (JANUARY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERING ON ICE OF DNIPRO RIVER IN FRONT OF CHURCH EXTERIOR CHURCH BUILDING, PEOPLE VARIOUS OF RELIGIOUS PROCESSION PRIEST BLESSING WATER BY DIPPING CROSS INTO IT MOSAICS OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE WALL VARIOUS OF MEN SWIMMING IN ICE-HOLE DIVER ON GUARD VARIOUS OF PEOPLE PLUNGING INTO WATER SOUNDBITE (Ukrainian) KIEV RESIDENT, YURIY ZHYLA, SAYING: "The reason why people come here depends on what they believe in. We believe that this helps to clean ourselves!" VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING INTO WATER, CROSSING THEMSELVES AND PLUNGING SOUNDBITE (Ukrainian) KIEV RESIDENT, SERGIY BALYA, SAYING: "First time it was both scary and cold to get into water, but afterwards it feels really great. This swimming today gave us energy for the rest of the year." WOMEN PLUNGING INTO WATER YOUNG WOMAN PASSING HOT TEA TO HER FRIEND SOUNDBITE (Russian) KIEV RESIDENT, MAXYM IVANYSHYN, SAYING: "Indescribable feelings, that I have never had before. I don't think anything can be compared to this. I did it for the second time in my life, but this is very cool! It is worth doing!" PEOPLE ON RIVER BANK SOUNDBITE (Russian) KIEV RESIDENT, OLGA PODOBED, SAYING: "Fantastic! Wonderful feelings! This is so cool!" FIRST AID AND RESCUE POST PEOPLE SWIMMING IN ICE-HOLE
- Embargoed: 2nd February 2017 13:54
- Keywords: Ukraine Orthodox Epiphany holiday plunge water baptism
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZQXNP5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several thousand people plunged into icy water of Dnipro river in Kiev on Thursday (January 19) to mark the Epiphany.
An ages-old ritual commemorates the baptism of Jesus Christ in the Jordan River. By bathing on this day, believers symbolically wash off their sins.
Special hole was cut in ice in a shape of a cross. Head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Onuphrius blessed the waters of the river.
Worshippers were immersing themselves in freezing water, regardless of the winter weather. Temperatures in Kiev hovered around minus 7 degrees Celsius.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None