- Title: Uproar outside the "Deplorables Ball"
- Date: 20th January 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JANUARY 19, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ***WARNING CONTAINS PROFANITY*** WIDE SHOT OF ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTERS WALKING THROUGH STREETS SHOUTING "FUCK TRUMP" MAN USING MEGAPHONE SHOUTING "RACIST DOG; FUCK DONALD TRUMP" POLICE ON THE STREET PROTESTERS SHOUTING "FUCK DONALD TRUMP" HOLDING SIGNS SAYING "STOP THE TRUMP-PENCE REGIME" AND APPROACHING AND CONFRONTING TRUMP SUPPORTERS PROTESTERS PUSHING EACH OTHER AROUND ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTERS SHOUTING WITH ONE MAN TELLING POLICE OFFICER "WE GOT THIS" POLICE OFFICER SHAKING CAN SAYING "BACK UP" TRUMP SUPPORTER AND ANTI TRUMP DEMONSTRATOR EMBRACING AND SHAKING HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (English)UNIDENTIFIED TRUMP SUPPORTER, SAYING: "I love it, people being Americans, people being citizens. People shouldn't get mad over people showing their grief." ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTERS TAUNTING POLICE POLICE ON BIKES POLICE BLOCKING PROTESTERS PROTESTER SHOUTING "NO TRUMP, NO KKK, NO FASCIST USA" PROTESTER CARRYING SIGN SAYING "SMASH FASCISM" POLICE OFFICERS CONFRONTATION BETWEEN TRUMP SUPPORTS AND DEMONSTRATORS WITH SUPPORTER BEING LED INTO NATIONAL PRESS BUILDING WHERE DEPLORABLE EVENT IS BEING HELD WIDE SHOT OF PROTESTS PROTESTERS SHOUTING "NO KKK NO FASCIST USA" (SOUNDBITE) (English)UNIDENTIFIED ANTI-TRUMP DEMONSTRATOR, SAYING: "He is a clown, he shouldn't be President. His election basically turns American politics, the American government into reality TV." ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTER BEING TAKEN INTO CUSTODY BY POLICE ANTI-TRUMP PROTESTER WAVING FLAG
- Embargoed: 3rd February 2017 02:07
- Keywords: Trump inaguration Deplorable Trump supporters anti-Trump
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0015ZVWK07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: --STORY CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE--
Anti-Trump protesters took to the streets of Washington D.C. outside the venue for the so-called "Deplorables" ball, where supporters of Donald Trump gathered to celebrate his election to the White House.
During the presidential campaign, Trump's Presidential rival Democrat Hillary Clinton called Trump supporters a "basket of deplorables."
Washington was turned into a virtual fortress ahead of the inauguration, with police ready to step in to separate protesters from Trump supporters at any sign of unrest. One anti-Trump protester was arrested.
A Trump supporter told Reuters, "People shouldn't get mad over people showing their grief." And anti-Trump demonstrator said she feared Trump would turn, "The American government into reality TV."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None