- Title: Heavy surf slams into Havana's Malecon
- Date: 23rd January 2017
- Summary: HAVANA, CUBA (JANUARY 23, 2017) (REUTERS) GENERAL VIEW FROM THE TOWER OF MORRO CASTLE OF WAVES CRASHING INTO HAVANA'S MALECON BUOY IN THE WATER VARIOUS OF LARGE WAVES CRASHING INTO MALECON MEN LEANING ON MALECON, WATCHING THE WAVES LARGE WAVES CRASHING INTO MALECON, CARS DRIVING ALONG ROAD POLICE CLOSING OFF STREET THAT IS FLOODING DUE TO LARGE WAVES CUBAN FLAG WAVING IN THE WIND WOMAN WALKING ALONG AVENUE, WAVES CRASHING INTO MALECON TOURISTS TAKING PICTURES OF LARGE WAVES CRASHING INTO MALECON GENERAL VIEW OF LARGE WAVES
- Embargoed: 6th February 2017 18:08
- Keywords: Cuba weather waves Havana Malecon
- Location: HAVANA, CUBA
- City: HAVANA, CUBA
- Country: Cuba
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00160AYR7N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A strong cold front brought high winds to Cuba and sparked heavy surf on Monday (January 23) along Havana's famed seafront.
The large waves crashing into the Malecon brought curious onlookers and sparked fears of severe flooding along the coast.
Authorities closed at least one main street in Havana after the large waves caused flooding.
Earlier this month, a mass of dry arctic air managed to reach Cuba, forcing authorities to block off the seafront highway in Havana.
According to the Climate Centre of the Institute of Meteorology of Cuba, 2016 was the fourth warmest year in Cuba since 1951. There has been an increase in the average temperature on the island in the last six decades.
The national cold record is 0.6 degrees Celsius (33 Fahrenheit), recorded in the town of Bainoa, in western Cuba, on February 18, 1996.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None