- Title: Italy avalanche death toll rises to 16, 13 still missing
- Date: 24th January 2017
- Summary: PENNE, ITALY (JANUARY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SNOW-CAPPED GRAN SASSO MOUNTAINS TAKEN FROM PENNE, SHOWING THE AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL ON THE LEFT AND ANOTHER AVALANCHE PATH ON THE RIGHT AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL WITH FOREST ON EITHER SIDE SNOW ON TOP OF MOUNTAIN AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL WITH FOREST ON EITHER SIDE SECOND AVALANCHE PATH TO THE RIGHT OF THE ONE THAT BURIED THE HOTEL AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL (LEFT) / SECOND AVALANCHE PATH (RIGHT) VIEW OF AVALANCHE PATH THAT BURIED THE RIGOPIANO HOTEL SEEN THROUGH TREES
- Embargoed: 7th February 2017 18:10
- Keywords: avalanche rescue death toll Farindola earthquake
- Location: FARINDOLA AND PENNE, ITALY
- City: FARINDOLA AND PENNE, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Reuters ID: LVA00160FZOZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The death toll in an avalanche in Italy has gone up to 16, after a woman's body was discovered on Tuesday (January 24).
Rescuers searched through the snow and rubble of Rigopiano Hotel, which was hit by the avalanche on Wednesday.
Rescue workers continue to work around the clock searching for 13 people. Some of the 11 survivors spent two days under ice and rubble.
As the weather cleared on Tuesday, the path the avalanche took was visible from Penne, the village where emergency workers have set up their temporary operation base.
An unrelated crash of a rescue helicopter on the other side of the Gran Sasso range about 100 km (60 miles) away in the Abruzzo region put the emergency services under further strain on Tuesday. All six on board the helicopter were killed.
Prosecutors in nearby Pescara have opened an investigation into the hotel disaster. Pescara prosecutor Cristina Tedeschini said her office would probe the hotel's structure, accessibility and communications surrounding the incident.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None