- Title: Iraqi forces target IS positions in western Mosul
- Date: 24th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF WHAT APPEAR TO BE BODIES OF ISLAMIC STATE FIGHTERS RAPID RESPONSE FORCES NEAR BODIES BODIES ON THE GROUND FIGHTERS' LEGS
- Embargoed: 7th February 2017 17:17
- Keywords: Iraq Mosul Islamic State offensive dead refugees explosion
- Location: YARIMJA AND HAY AL-ARABI IN MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: YARIMJA AND HAY AL-ARABI IN MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA00260FZIO7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Iraqi rapid response forces on Tuesday (January 24) targeted Islamic State positions on the western bank of the Tigris River in Mosul, a day after officials announced the complete recapture of the eastern side.
According to military officials, the army on Sunday (January 22) entered Rashidiya, the last district under the control of the militants on the east bank of the Tigris.
Mopping-up operations were still under way on Monday to flush out remaining militants in a pocket in the northeastern district.
Hundreds of people from Rashidiya left the district with their belongings to escape fighting.
The United Nations said on Tuesday it is "racing against the clock" to prepare emergency aid for hundreds of thousands of endangered civilians in Mosul with the Iraqi army offensive looming to oust Islamic State from the western half of the city.
U.N. officials estimate 750,000 people remain in Mosul west of the Tigris River that flows through the city.
The west side could prove more complicated to take than the east as it is crisscrossed by streets too narrow for armoured vehicles, allowing militants to hide among civilians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None