- Title: Greenpeace protester: This is a message to the Trump administration
- Date: 25th January 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JANUARY 25, 2017) (REUTERS) GREENPEACE ACTIVISTS HANGING FROM CRANE BANNER THAT READS IN ENGLISH "RESIST" BEING UNFURLED TO CHEERS IN THE DISTANCE FROM A CROWD
- Embargoed: 8th February 2017 17:15
- Keywords: Resist banner anti Trump construction crane Greenpeace U.S. President Donald Trump environment protest activist
- Location: WASHINGTON DC, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON DC, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00360KYJPJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Greenpeace activist hanging from the top of a construction crane some 300 feet (91 meters) above the ground and overlooking the White House said on Wednesday (January 25) that the protest banner she and fellow activists had unfurled that morning was a message to the administration and to the American people.
Nancy Hernandez from San Francisco was one of seven activists up on the crane who unfurled a banner that read "RESIST". She sent a video from her position on the crane via Facebook Live in which she called on people "to push back" and not "just accept it."
"This is a message to everybody who's been waking up in the past couple of mornings, and I guess recently, this whole last year and seeing depressing news on their Instagram and Facebook and news feeds," Hernandez said in the video.
The Greenpeace activists unfurled the giant protest banner within blocks of the White House one day after President Donald Trump ordered a revival of the North Dakota pipeline project.
The environmental group said in a statement that the protest was a call to action to others who want to "resist Trump's attacks on environmental, social, economic, and educational justice".
The group said its action comes on the heels of other protests in the country over Trump's policies and nominees for top cabinet posts.
Trump has promised to slash U.S. environmental regulation as a way to promote oil drilling and mining.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None