- Title: 'La La Land' leads Oscar nominations with 14 nods
- Date: 24th January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS UNIDENTIFIED LOCATIONS (FILE) (AMPAS UNRESTRICTED POOL) ACTOR DEMIAN BICHIR ANNOUNCING BEST PICTURE NOMINEE ACTRESS BRIE LARSON ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE DIRECTOR JASON REITMAN ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE ACTOR TERRENCE HOWARD ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE NOMINEES ANNOUNCED FOR ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE NOMINEES ANNOUNCED FOR BEST DIRECTOR ACTOR KEN WATANABE ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM SCREENWRITER DUSTIN LANCE BLACK ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BET ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY DUSTIN LANCE BLACK ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY ACTRESS JENNIFER HUDSON ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BEST ANIMATED FEATURE NOMINEES ANNOUNCED FOR BEST COSTUME DESIGN NOMINEES ANNOUNCED FOR BEST MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING ACTRESS JENNIFER HUDSON ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCORE ACTRESS JENNIFER HUDSON ANNOUNCING NOMINEES FOR BEST ORIGINAL SONG NOMINEES ANNOUNCED FOR BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
- Embargoed: 7th February 2017 14:02
- Keywords: Oscars awards La La Land nominations Arrival Manchester by the Sea Moonlight Hacksaw Ridge Hidden Figures Fences Hell or High Water Lion
- Location: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- City: UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts/Culture/Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA00160FY6H3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Romantic musical "La La Land" led the Oscar nominations on Tuesday (January 24) with 14 nods, including the top prize of best picture and best actor nominations for its stars, Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone.
It will contend with sci-fi movie "Arrival" with eight nods; war movie "Hacksaw Ridge"; modern western "Hell or High Water"; and dramas "Manchester by the Sea," "Moonlight", "Hidden Figures," "Lion" and "Fences."
The 14 nominations of "La La Land" for the highest honors in the movie industry equaled the record held by 1997 blockbuster "Titanic" and the 1950 film "All About Eve."
In the best actor category, Gosling will compete with Casey Affleck, who plays a grieving father in "Manchester by the Sea"; "Fences" star Denzel Washington; British actor Andrew Garfield of "Hacksaw Ridge" and Viggo Mortensen's unorthodox dad in "Captain Fantastic."
In a key difference from 2016 and 2015, seven people of color were among the acting nominees, and four of the nine best picture contenders told African-American or Indian stories.
They included supporting actor nominees Dev Patel for "Lion," and Mahershala Ali and Naomie Harris for "Moonlight," the tale of a young boy struggling with his sexual identity in an impoverished Miami neighborhood.
"Hidden Figures," about three black female mathematicians working on the U.S. space program in the 1960s, brought a supporting actress nod for Octavia Spencer.
Last year, all 20 acting nominees were white, unleashing a #OscarsSoWhite backlash on social media for the second consecutive year.
Some notable absences on Tuesday's list included Annette Bening's star turn in "20th Century Women" and Amy Adams performance as a linguist in "Arrival."
Martin Scorsese's religious passion project "Silence," which was 28 years in the making, was missing from the main categories and earned just one nomination, for cinematography.
Jimmy Kimmel will host the Academy Awards ceremony in Hollywood on Feb. 26.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None