- Title: Russian company mints 1 kg silver Trump coin
- Date: 21st January 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF ENGRAVER WORKING ON COIN AT GRINDING MACHINE
- Embargoed: 4th February 2017 09:30
- Keywords: Russia Trump Donald Trump coin Trump coin silver
- Location: ZLATOUST, RUSSIA
- City: ZLATOUST, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Human Interest/Brights/Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA002600VZA1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A Russian studio in the Urals' city of Zlatoust minted a one kilogram (2.2 lbs approx.) silver coin dedicated to the inauguration of the U.S. President Donald Trump and presented it on the date (January 20).
The heavy piece bears the portrait of the 45th president of the United States on its front and the Statue of Liberty at the reverse.
"We could not miss such an important event as the election of Donald Trump as president. So we decided to immortalise this person in metal," said Anastasia Gavrilova, Art-Grani studio marketing and advertising manager. The company of 100 people has four offices in Russia and produces expensive pieces of decoration and gifts, including commemorative coins.
"We started minting of commemorative one kilogram silver coins three or four years ago maybe. And the aim of this branch (of production) was to commemorate important events and people. Our very first project was a coin dedicated to the inclusion of Crimea into Russia. There was (Russian President) Vladimir Vladimirovich (Putin) on one side and a map of Crimea on the other," Gavrilova said.
The studio plans to produce a series of coins with Trump's portrait, with 25 items made of silver, 15 of silver and gold and five gold ones.
Donald Trump gained wide popularity in Russia since he has repeatedly said he will seek to improve relations with Moscow despite criticism that he is too eager to make an ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin.
The United States and other Western powers imposed sanctions on Russia in 2014 over its annexation of the Crimea peninsula from Ukraine and its support for pro-Russia separatists in eastern Ukraine.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None