- Title: Trump tweets Chelsea Manning "ungrateful traitor"
- Date: 26th January 2017
- Summary: FORT MEADE, MARYLAND UNITED STATES (AUGUST 14, 2013) (REUTERS) BRADLEY MANNING GETTING OUT OF VEHICLE AND ENTERING MILITARY COURT FACILITY
- Embargoed: 9th February 2017 12:42
- Keywords: President Donald Trump Chealsea Manning jail commutation
- Location: FORT MEADE, MARYLAND UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- City: FORT MEADE, MARYLAND UNITED STATES / UNKNOWN LOCATION
- Country: USA
- Reuters ID: LVA00260PX3D3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump took to Twitter early Thursday (January 26) morning, slamming Chelsea Manning as an "ungrateful traitor."
"Ungrateful TRAITOR Chelsea Manning, who should never have been released from prison, is now calling President Obama a weak leader. Terrible!"
As one of his final acts before leaving office, President Barack Obama commuted the prison sentence of Manning, the former U.S. military intelligence analyst behind the biggest breach of classified materials in U.S. history.
Manning has been a focus of a worldwide debate on government secrecy since she provided more than 700,000 documents, videos, diplomatic cables and battlefield accounts to the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks - a leak for which she was sentenced to serve 35 years in prison.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None