- Title: Croatian PM Plenkovic visits Jerusalem
- Date: 24th January 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JANUARY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF PLENKOVIC AT YAD VASHEM HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL PLENKOVIC LIGHTING TORCH AT MEMORIAL TORCH PLENKOVIC AT MEMORIAL PLENKOVIC LAYING WREATH AT MEMORIAL VARIOUS OF PLENKOVIC SIGNING BOOK OF MEMORIAL PLENKOVIC LEAVING
- Embargoed: 7th February 2017 15:18
- Keywords: Jerusalem Croatian Prime MInister Plenkovic Netanyahu Holocaust
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00260FVKFT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic met his Israeli counterpart on Tuesday (January 24) during a one day visit to Jerusalem.
"I think this is a good opportunity to improve the relationship of our two countries, both in political and economic terms, when it comes to increasing trade, when it comes to increasing cooperation in tourism, when it comes to increasing cooperation in the area of security," Plenkovic said during joint statements with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Netanyahu thanked Plenkovic for sending Croatian firefighting aircraft to help battle wild forest fires in Israel in November.
Plenkovic later visited Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial Museum and laid a wreath at the memorial.
Last month, Croatian Jews said they would boycott the country's main Holocaust remembrance event, accusing the authorities of playing down crimes perpetrated under the Nazi-backed Ustasa regime during World War Two.
International Holocaust Remembrance Day is held on Jan. 27 each year, the date in 1945 when the biggest Nazi concentration camp, Auschwitz in occupied Poland, was liberated by Soviet troops.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None