- Title: Key suspect in Paris and Brussels attacks transferred to France for indictment
- Date: 30th January 2017
- Summary: SAINT-DENIS, FRANCE (FILE - NOVEMBER 13, 2015) (REUTERS) (NIGHTS SHOTS) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE LEAVING STADIUM VARIOUS OF POLICE WEARING SECURITY GEAR, HOLDING GUNS PARIS, FRANCE (FILE - NOVEMBER 14, 2015) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF POLICE DURING ASSAULT AT BATACLAN CONCERT HALL, EXPLOSIONS AND GUNSHOTS HEARD SURVIVORS WALKING OUTSIDE IN THERMAL BLANKETS WITH FIRE TRUCKS IN BACKGROUND SPECIAL POLICE FORCE (BRI) WEARING BLACK MASKS AND WALKING WITH GUNS VARIOUS OF INJURED BEING CARRIED OUT OF CONCERT HALL PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE CONCERT HALL
- Embargoed: 13th February 2017 11:42
- Keywords: Mohamed Abrini attacks militant Paris Brussels
- Location: UNKNOWN/ ZAVENTEM & BRUSSELS, BELGIUM/ PARIS & SAINT DENIS, FRANCE
- City: UNKNOWN/ ZAVENTEM & BRUSSELS, BELGIUM/ PARIS & SAINT DENIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA005619W5DZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH FILE VIDEO FROM THE NOV. 13 ATTACKS IN PARIS AND SAINT-DENIS, AND THE MAR. 22 ATTACKS IN BRUSSELS
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Mohamed Abrini, one of the key suspects in the November 2015 attacks in Paris and the March 2016 attacks in Brussels, was transferred to France on Monday (January 30) to be indicted, a judicial source said.
The 32-year-old had been in detention in a prison in central Belgium, and would not be spending more than 24 hours in Paris, local French media said.
He was presented before a judge in what was his first personal appearance in France and was indicted for the November 13 attacks in Paris and Saint-Denis, for which he was suspected of playing a role in organising.
The attacks in Paris and Saint-Denis killed 130 people and injured hundreds.
Two days before the attacks, he was filmed in a motorway gas station, in the direction of Paris, accompanied by Salah Abdeslam, the sole survivor among the November 13 suspected attackers.
The Belgian-Moroccan is also suspected of having accompanied two suicide bombers in Brussels airport on March 22, and to have left a bomb hidden in a bag there. He admitted to being the "man in the hat," based on images captured by surveillance cameras.
The Brussels bombings killed 32 people.
Abrini was arrested in the Brussels district of Anderlecht in April 2016.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None