- Title: FRANCE: FRENCH STUDENTS MEET WITH UNION LEADERS IN PARIS.
- Date: 4th December 1968
- Summary: UNION BUILDING; EMBLEM OVER DOORWAY; UNION OFFICIALS ARRIVING; STUDENTS TALK OUTSIDE BUILDING; STUDENTS ENTERING BUILDING; STUDENT TALKS TO NEWSMEN. Initials JH/V/PN/BB Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
- Embargoed: 19th December 1968 13:00
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Reuters ID: LVA4N5JZ1T1MXW8UP7I5P5LR7CAT
- Story Text: Leaders of the main French students' union, U.N.E.F., and the communist-led C.G.T., one of France's two major trade union confederations, met officially in Paris today (Wednesday). The meeting was the first since the disturbances of last May when the C.G.T. dissociated itself from the U.N.E.F.
The students have expressed their support for the half-day token strike of 57,000 Renault motor workers set for tomorrow (Thursday). The strike, called by the C.G.T. and France's other major union confederation, the C.F.D.T., will hit five of the company's seven plants near Paris and in northern France. The strike against the state-run firm is being called to protest against alleged delays by the Renault management in carrying out agreement that settled the June strike.
The U.N.E.F. said in a statement today that the students must mobilise to demonstrate their concrete support for the striking workers tomorrow -- but "this support must show itself in the ways the workers themselves want it."
The C.G.T.'s Secretary-General, Georges Seguy, today criticised the U.N.E.F. in a press conference for publishing an undertaking to cooperate with the trade unions in their present campaign without first approaching the federations.
While anxious to improve cooperation between the unions and the student body, he said, the Renault workers had not been advised in time of the U.N.E.F. undertaking to decide whether to accept student support.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2015. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None