- Title: USA: Memorial service for Boston marathon victim Krystle Campbell
- Date: 22nd April 2013
- Summary: MEDFORD, MASSACHUSETTS, UNITED STATES (APRIL 22, 2013) (REUTERS) WIDE OF HONOR GUARD OF FIREFIGHTERS SALUTE AS PALLBEARERS CARRY CAMPBELL'S CASKET INSIDE CHURCH WIDE OF CHURCH MOURNERS LINED UP OUTSIDE THE CHURCH (SOUNDBITE) (English) ADAM MARSH, FRIEND OF CAMPBELL, SAYING: "I mean anything you read or anything you hear is basically 100 percent true of who she was. She was taken from us by a couple of animals who thought it would be funny or a good idea, or whatever they thought it was no one knows. You know, and the whole world knows who Krystle Campbell is now, not for who she was or what she was like, you know, they know her because of what happened. It's sad." (SOUNDBITE) (English) JULIA DZIMBA, FRIEND OF CAMPBELL, SAYING: "Just like this bright happy person. She's got these big blue eye that everybody talked about and that's all I'd see." VARIOUS OF MOURNERS OUTSIDE, SOME HOLDING THE AMERICAN FLAG (SOUNDBITE) (English) GAIL ROBINS, FAMILY FRIEND OF CAMPBELL, SAYING: "Well, in school, it's hard to remember a lot of the little things in school, but the favorite one in recent past is when she ran down the hill at my son's wedding and threw her arms around me and called me mom, you know, called me 'second mom' because we hadn't seen each other in a while." SIGN OF KRYSTLE CAMPBELL'S MEMORIAL FLYER PALLBEARERS CARRYING CASKET INTO HEARSE HEARSE MOVING SLOWLY THROUGH STREETS
- Embargoed: 7th May 2013 13:00
- Location: Usa
- Country: USA
- Topics: Crime,General
- Reuters ID: LVA5XAT4DON31UX44HO92EY9M99M
- Story Text: Hundreds of people gathered in Medford, Massachusetts on Monday (April 22) for the funeral of Boston Marathon bombing victim Krystle Campbell.
Some people had to be turned away from the door of the packed building, while others lined the streets to show support for the grieving family.
An honor guard of firefighters stood at attention and saluted as pallbearers carried Campbell's casket past them. A solitary bell tolled as her casket was borne into St. Joseph Church.
Campbell, 29, a native of Medford, Massachusetts, was one of three people killed in the Boston marathon bombings that struck near the race's finish line a week ago.
Among the mourners who were unable to get into the church was Adam Marsh, a friend of Campbell.
"She was taken from us by a couple of animals who thought it would be funny or a good idea, or whatever they thought it was no one knows. You know, and the whole world knows who Krystle Campbell is now, not for who she was or what she was like, you know, they know her because of what happened. It's sad," he said.
21-year-old Julia Dzimba of Newton was also there. She worked with Campbell last summer at a Summer Shack restaurant.
She was "just like this bright happy person," Dzimba said. "She's got these big blue eyes that everybody talks about," Dzimba said.
A funeral service was also set Monday for Chinese graduate student Lingzi Lu. 8-year-old boy, Martin Richard, was also killed in the blast.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2013. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None