- Title: SAUDI ARABIA: Riyadh streets flooded after heavy rainfall
- Date: 6th January 2014
- Summary: (NIGHT SHOTS) RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (JANUARY 5, 2014) (REUTERS) HEAVY RAIN FALLING, SEEN FROM INSIDE CAR VARIOUS BADLY OVERFLOWING DRAIN VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING THROUGH FLOODED STREETS RIYADH, SAUDI ARABIA (JANUARY 6, 2014) (REUTERS) LOW CLOUD COVERING TOP OF KINGDOM TOWER/RAINY STREET CARS ON HIGHWAY, KINGDOM TOWER IN BACKGROUND VARIOUS OF LOW CLOUD COVERING TOP OF KINGDOM TOWER VARIOUS OF CARS DRIVING THROUGH FLOODED STREETS
- Embargoed: 21st January 2014 12:00
- Location: Saudi Arabia
- Country: Saudi Arabia
- Topics: Environment
- Reuters ID: LVA7QL4YP4067AGPODQHQ947VZNE
- Story Text: Many streets in the Saudi Arabian capital Riyadh were flooded on Monday (January 6) after a night of heavy rain across the desert kingdom.
Cars struggled to cross the city and, while no casualties have yet been reported, the Saudi government has advised people to avoid flooded areas.
As well as Riyadh, Jeddah, Mecca and Medina have also been affected by heavy rain and
many schools around the country have had to close due to the adverse weather conditions.
Rain is uncommon in Saudi Arabia but the port city of Jeddah, which has no underground sewage system, was hit by flash floods in 2009. Over 100 people were killed.
The city was again inundated with sewage after flash floods struck again in 2011.
The current bad weather is expected to continue until Wednesday.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2014. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None